Tuesday, May 18, 2010

I Failed To Fall Asleep One Night

I failed to fall asleep one night
Tossing and turning, try as I might

while a million thoughts swarmed my mind
Like flies, I heard them all but none could find

Tumbled from bed, slipped on empty shoes
and half naked, without further ado

Out the door and up the hill
I hiked amid the chill

The silent steam escaped my skin
Indifferent Evergreens enclosed me in

I saw no stars when I reached the peak panting
I sat on a stump, long dead yet long standing

I meditated, awaited the colors' change
Something I hadn't seen since I came of age

A gathering light around the mountains
A thousand shadows from a thousand fountains

Of light, weaving the branches
I closed my eyes and entered trances

The rising sun makes no noise
Yet still my whole body felt the sun's voice

My swarming mind rested, washed and rinsed
Such a sense I've felt rarely since

Until the day I fell for you
And every day since I've been with you

1 comment:

  1. So I think you're delightful. And I think your prose is delightful. But as far as poetry goes, I'm currently sitting on the fence. Thinking about falling off it. (Just thought you should know.)

    ReplyDelete