Monday, January 4, 2010

Ecclesiastes is so Emo

I never got into emo (I admittedly laughed out loud the first time I saw the "I wish my lawn was emo so it would cut itself" shirt), so I'm probably unqualified to state that the Biblical book of Ecclesiastes is totally emo. Nevertheless, let's take a quick sampling of its content, and tell me these couldn't be Taking Back Sunday lyrics:

"All is vanity"

"there is no thing new under the sun"

"I gave my heart to know wisdom and to know madness"

"Sorrow is better than laughter"

"oppression makes a man wise"

"an untimely birth is better than he"

"who knows what is good for man in life, all the days of vain life which he spends as a shadow?"

"a living dog is better than a dead lion"

I rest my well-argued, rigorously researched case.

No comments:

Post a Comment