Tuesday, May 18, 2010

I understand and yet...

Clear back in High School, I remember my AP English teacher teaching about the plight of the homeless, and he told of encountering a homeless man who had a Masters Degree but now lived on the streets. At the time my teenage self wondered, "How on earth does someone who's motivated and intelligent enough to get a Masters degree end up homeless??!" Now that I've finished my MA, I don't wonder anymore; frankly, it makes perfect sense.

When I was an undergrad at BYUI, there was a guy in my apt complex who was 27, who steadfastly refused to finish that final credit to graduate, presumably holding out to get married. At the time I wondered why on earth he wanted to stay in that forsaken corner of the globe, why he didn't just finish, break free, travel the world, live life at last. At the time I was preparing to go to China to teach. But now I'm 27, and I understand how easy it is to just sorta stay where all your stuff's at.

The older I get the more I understand; yet also the older I get the more it burns within me. I need an adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment