Monday, July 5, 2010

Fireworks

I found myself wondering this last weekend why the 13 colonies rebelled, all things considered. I mean, the English, I have learned, do indeed have a long history of rebelling against their monarchs: the Magna Charta in 1215, the Peasant Revolt of 1387, the War of the Roses in the 1400s, the Civil War of 1688 (beheading Kings a full century before the French Revolution), rendering 1776 but one rebellion by Englishman among many. Maybe the American Revolution was but the realization of all the English revolts that had preceded it.

But then the fireworks launch, and I must perforce live in the moment, for the fireworks exist only in the moment, as our lives explode for this one glorious moment under the heavens, and my head clears and my thoughts drift away...

No comments:

Post a Comment