Friday, October 1, 2010

The Test Itself is Tautologically the Test Itself

I had a professor last semester who informed us that back during the 80s, there was a trend in literary studies whereby it was fashionable to say that, if one deconstructed a text enough, then what one finds is that every work is really about the medium itself--i.e. every book is really just about writings books, every movie is really just about making movies, every TV show is really just about TV shows, etc, etc.

We've since moved on to Foucaultian power networks and such, but as I prepare to retake the GRE this afternoon, I can't help but feel that all a test really tests you on is, well, your ability to take a test. Every essay you're assigned isn't on your command of the material, but on your ability to write an essay. And all exams examinate is, well, your examination abilities. At least, so I keep telling myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment