Thursday, September 15, 2011

Everything's Better Than When You Were 15

Sometimes I look at my near-prehistoric, 5-year-old iPod with a mere 30 gigs of hard-drive; or note that my itunes library doesn't even reach into the quintiple digits; and I sigh that it's been nearly 2 whole months since I last got new music; and I start to think, Man, I'm tired of listening to the same old thing, I need to get some new tunes--

That's when I recall the National-Lampoon-style Drive Across America my family took in '98, and my parent's garbage-sack full of cassette-tapes--all soft-pop of the '70s--which they popped in one after another, after another, after another, an endless Moebius strip of magnetic tape and Barry Manilow.

And I remember that mine only refuge during those 8-hour cornfield drives of Kenny Rogers, Loggins, and Chesney was my walkman and grand-total of 5 CDs, which I likewise listened to on constant loop. I basically memorized The Beatles Revolver that July.

I then glance back at my current itunes library, and I say, Man, don't get greedy, don't get greedy--

1 comment:

  1. I'd take Barry Manilow over talk radio, which was what I was subjected to on family road trips. Fortunately, if you sat in the back of the van, the car made enough noise to drown out everything from the front. You just had to be quick in the competition for the coveted back seats.

    ReplyDelete