Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Equilibirum

So in class today I was facetiously noting how I'd picked the exact wrong economy to graduate in, when one of my classmates responded: "No, this is exactly the right time to graduate with a Masters in English! If you'd gotten your degree in a good economy, then your degree would be considered a poor decision. But in an economy with 10% unemployment, no one can begrudge your college decisions, because all degrees are useless equally!" And I said, "You're right! Even if I was graduating with a computer science or business degree, it still wouldn't help my employment chances!" Equilibrium has been achieved; it's like in Fight Club when they blew up Wall Street--all degree values have been reduced to zero, thus increasing the value of a degree where I'm at least enjoying what I'm doing. Now, not only am I patting myself on the back for the timing of my degree, but I'm starting to feel like an anarchist of sorts. We all do our part.

No comments:

Post a Comment