Tuesday, August 24, 2010

2001 Chrysler Sebring Ignition Problems

I'd just walked out of Smith's the other day when what to my dismay the key no longer turned in the ignition--the key itself slid in just fine, and the dashboard made beeping noise when I opened the door while the key was in, indicating it recognized the key was there; nevertheless, it did not turn.

This caused me some degree of consternation. Forcing it only seemed to threaten to break my key. I walked back to my apt. (4 blocks away) and returned with the spare key--no dice.

When in doubt, read the instructions, I mused, so I looked up the owner's manual, figuring I must've somehow hit something that causes the ignition to lock. All it read was, "Turn key and wait three seconds for engine to start." Wow, did that old saying get worthless fast.

Next I looked up customer support--they only suggested 1) turning the steering wheel back and forth" (no dice again), and 2) calling a tow-truck to bring the car into the dealership. Not exactly swimming in money in the midst of this, the severest recession in 70 years, I declined.

Now mine frustration was reaching fever-pitch--this ignition was now worth the entire value of my car. I started a new job in West Jordan on Wednesday that I could now no longer reach. And without a job I couldn't afford a new car; and without a car I couldn't find another job; my entire future was here at stake. I refused to be so handily defeated.

I carried my meager groceries back to my apt, gathered my tools, then checked on our mutual friend the internet--Mr. Internet quickly revealed that stuck ignitions are quite common in 2001 Chrysler Sebrings. There are entire forums dedicated to this little design flaw. Go figure.

I made the trek to Smiths once more--I slid in my key. I lightly tapped on it with the handle of a screw-driver. The ingition turned, my engine roared to life. I may have released a cry of joy.

Three little taps, saving me untold hundreds, perhaps thousands of dollars. Good job, internet! We win.

No comments:

Post a Comment