Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Hamlet with a Southern Accent

My English teachers throughout college have been fond of pointing out that the American Southern accent is probably much more like the Renaissance English accent than the current English accent. Recently it's occurred to me that, assuming that's true, then Shakespeare probably sounded more like a Georgia planter than Ewen McGregor. That's when it hit me--how much more awesome would Hamlet sound in a southern accent?!

And I don't even mean a parody or a satirical version, I mean a strait-faced, Southern Gothic, gravely voiced Prince of Denmark gripping a skull drawn from the Mississippi mud, drolling, "To be or not to be, that is the question...for whet'er its nobler in da mind, to suffer da slings and arrows of outrageous fortune...." Just say it loud, try it, the more I do it that the more I think that this, this is in fact is how Hamlet should be performed, that this is how you convincingly deliver those lines that have defeated so many actors before! C'mon, say the following out loud in a drawl southern accent, it's fun, I promise:

"There are more things in heaven and hell than are dreamt of in your philosophy, Horatio..."

"Thou know'st 'tis common; all that lives must die, Passing through nature to eternity."
"Ay madam, it is common."

"And since brevity is the soul of wit, I will be brief." (Polonius I think makes more sense as a long-winded old southerner)

"Use everyman according to his deserts, and who will escape whipping?"

"We fat all creatures else to fat us, and we fat ourselves for maggots"

"Lord we know what we are, but know not what we may be" (I'm especially attracted to the idea of Ophelia as a southern dame)

"There is special providence in the fall of a sparrow. If it be now, 'tis not to come; if it be not to come, it will be now; if it be not now, yet it will come. The readiness is all."

No comments:

Post a Comment