Tuesday, March 22, 2011

You have to pay to get out of going through all these things twice

I had a professor in grad school who, if he didn't think I'd revised my paper right, would often scrawl in the margins, "What did Bob Dylan say about doing things twice?" And I always wanted to scrawl back, "I don't know, what DID he say about it, I wasn't born in the 60s you friggin hippie!"

Anyhoo, it turns out I DO know what Bob Dylan said about doing things twice! I was listening to Blonde on Blonde the other day, on the track "Stuck Inside a Mobile With the Memphis Blues Again," when suddenly I hear Dylan belt out, "You have to pay to get out of/
Going through all these things twice/Oh Mama, is this really the end/To be stuck inside a mobile with the Memphis blues again..."

Good song. And is apparently what my prof was referring to. It was an oddly apt allusion!

No comments:

Post a Comment