Friday, April 1, 2011

Girls are sneaky!

Shortly after I got my BA, I briefly worked as a substitute teacher. Just so ya know, the poshest, easiest sub job out there is subbing an elementary school PE class--"run around and scream, kids, I'll stand here and watch!" is pretty much the smoothest 80-odd bucks you'll make in one day.

Nevertheless, it isn't without its bumps. Once, I was subbing a 6th grade PE class, when this distraught little girl runs up to me, balling her eyes out, crying, "Kevin stole my basketball from me!" I immediately look to said Kevin and say, "Hey, you! Over in the corner!"

"But, but--" he protested.

"I don't wanna hear it!" I snapped, "Get in the corner." And away he sauntered.

Not two minutes pass, when Kevin's friend comes up to me, and says, "Teacher? Teacher? Kevin didn't steal her basketball, she was lying!"

"What?" I ask.

"Look," he says, pointing, "She's not even crying anymore. She was faking it."

And sure enough, I look over, and not two minutes after she was balling her eyes out, there she was, smiling, skipping, laughing with her friends--not a tear on her face. Not even a streak.

I grimaced at myself, then waved at Kevin and said, "Alright, come out of the corner." And out he ran gleefully.

His friend kept standing next to me. "Man, girls sure are tricky!" he said.

"You have no idea," I replied.

"Yeah, I know, right--"

"No, seriously kiddo, you have no idea."

No comments:

Post a Comment