Tuesday, April 27, 2010

While my next appt. is late...

The movie Pulp Fiction isn't about the briefcase, or the characters, the conversations or even the violence; Pulp Fiction is about rewatching movies, how every time we watch it, the context changes, and it becomes a new film.

A refrain I often heard from my Dad as a child was on the need to "grow up." I finally deduced what to "grow up" means: it means to suffer quietly. I will also note that I have no recollection of my Dad ever explicitly saying "Oh grow up" to me directly, I presume because that would be tantamount to him telling his own son, "Oh, go suffer."

When I was a child, I thought as a child, I spoke as a child, but when I became a man, I quit listening to Rush Limbaugh.

America loses its innocence a lot: at JFK's assassination, at Columbine, at 9/11. At what point did in between these did we regain our innocence? Perhaps, instead, we lost our naivety, which always comes back, if indeed we ever lose it. And given the number of people who still think Saddam was allies with bin Laden (they were blood enemies; we couldn't have helped bin Laden more in killing Saddam than if we'd cut al-Qaeda a check for $100 million, like we did with both in the 80s), or who think health care reform is like Hitler, I'm forced to conclude that America has a very stubborn naivety.

Dictatorships are the only places where you are not allowed to call your President a dictator. So by all means, keep calling the President a dictator, it only proves he is not one.

Relationships are not safe; relationships are inherently risky, dangerous, even violent, in every sense of the word. It takes courage to be in a relationship. To quote TV on the Radio, "Love is the province of the brave."

No comments:

Post a Comment