Wednesday, February 29, 2012

3 quotes from Nietzsche

From Thus Spake Zarathustra, which I just finished--

"Away from the marketplace and fame take place all that is great."

The longer I live, the more thoroughly true I understand this statement to be; the best things I've ever done (e.g. Puerto Rico) were far away from markets and fame. And when I saw clips of Braveheart and Enter the Dragon at some recruiting meeting for some summer sales company, I immediately intuited a jarring disconnect between lasting achievements and mere commerce. I believe Nietzsche has best articulated here why I felt that disconnect.

"He who said 'God is Spirit'--made the greatest stride and slide hitherto made on earth toward unbelief."

I highly doubt Nietzsche thought of or agreed with Joseph Smith much at all, and vise-versa--nevertheless, on this one single point, I believe both men are in complete agreement; for with both of them, God must be embodied, or He is no God at all.

"Joy is deeper still than grief can be...All joy wants the eternity of all things...it is thirstier, heartier, hungrier, more frightful, more mysterious than all woe."

I have not yet felt experienced this joy deeper than grief myself, at least not yet...but I suspect that he is completely right.

No comments:

Post a Comment